Iraq Employment Outlook Report 2023

We are pleased to present the annual Mselect Iraq Employment Outlook for 2023, put together using survey data from over 1,000 employers across sectors.

In the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic, new difficulties such as currency inflation, as well as other challenges, have had and will continue to have an effect on employment trends. Analysis of data of this kind is beneficial for employers and employees alike to navigate both the present and the future of employment in Iraq.

Only 7% of employers expect to lay off workers this year while 36% expect to keep employment levels steady and 41% plan to hire. 15% remain undecided. Lower hiring expectations come from the sectors of Banking, Education, Retail, and NGOs.

Small and medium-sized businesses have a slightly higher hiring expectancy than very large or micro-sized ones. Manufacturing, FMCG, Healthcare, Industrial, and Multi-Sector Groups are the industries which have the highest hiring expectancy.

Skills shortage is a critical factor to consider in employment, both for employers and employees. Most notably, 30% expressed concern for shortage in accounting skills.

The data demonstrates that the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic have largely receded, with the vast majority of employers having their employees work in the workplace all of the time. Despite this fact, employers still have some employees work from home, particularly IT positions.

Finally, the topic of currency devaluation was of concern to many, to which 69% said they would keep salaries unchanged, while the remaining 31% stated that they would revise salaries.

Full report can be downloaded by following this link.